So you've decided to take a couple of potential clients out for a round of golf. Great idea! Golf course business is a great way to impress and get to know potential clients in a casual setting. There are a couple of etiquette tips that you should make note of before you head onto the course. Many of the basic golf etiquette rules should still be applied here such as good sportsmanship, being respectful of other groups and dressing appropriately. Here are a couple of tips to keep in mind before starting your round:
- Be Early. You should arrive at least 15 minutes prior to your tee time so your partners aren't left waiting on you to start the round. If you wouldn't come late to work, you shouldn't be late to the course either!
- Don't jump straight into business. You have 18 holes to play; you don't want to jump straight to business on the 1st tee.
- Offer mulligans and gimmes. If a shot goes into the water or far out of bounds offer a mulligan. If the ball is within 2-3 feet of the hole give them the stroke, don't make them putt it in!
- Don't be overly competitive. You don't have to let the client win, but you also aren't there to show off or improve your own game. Have fun, but remember you are there for business.
- Don't cheat. This one may seem obvious, but if you get caught cheating you probably won't seem trustworthy to a client in a professional setting.
- Repair divots and rake the bunkers. Again, this one might seem obvious but it shows that you have respect for the players after you. It also says a lot about your character as well as your manners.
- Control your frustration. Don't curse angrily after missing a shot or make a scene if your game isn't quite going the way you had planned. No one will be impressed with someone who is hotheaded in a game that is supposed to be fun and relaxed!
- Shake hands at the end of the round. Shake hands and say thank you to the client for joining you as well as for their (potential) business.
- Pay for the round. Pick up the tab throughout the day! If the client insists on paying let them treat you to a drink or to lunch.
The next time that you want to impress a client or business partner, bring them out for a round at Willow Valley! We supply a stunning course with a professional and friendly staff that you can feel confident in bringing your guests to. Give our pro shop a call at (905) 679-2703 or click here to book a tee time.